Saturday, December 15, 2007

An End to Theory

So my second to last semester of college is now over, and the true end is almost near (eek). But this semester has been far different from the previous ones. I truly enjoyed all of my classes especially this class even though most of the time, especially in the beginning, I spent asking myself "What am I learning? I don't understand what I'm studying...none of this makes any sense." I remember the first day of class I was completely dumbfounded. Theory at the time to me seemed like German and I was left to translate it all on my own. Once I understood Marxism and structuralism I was able to understand and relate the following theories that we also studied.
This class has taught me to think critically differently, and I have caught myself analyzing texts and films using the variety of theories that I studied. The theory that I have found myself relating most with is feminism.
However I feel that when I try to verbalize and express my understanding of theory it never comes out correctly because one idea conflicts with and spark another idea and my thoughts become all over the place, and I feel that I'm going insane.
Now that we have spent a great amount of time learning all of these theories, its shocking and slightly annoying that we come to find out that theory is dead. To understand, value, or reject theory you have to know where it has been and what it has been through.
Theory may explain everything, something, or absolutely nothing. Sometimes things are just what they are.

1 comment:

Jared said...

That's what annoys me most about Theory. I'm sitting here trying to write something on Deleuze, but I'm all tied up by his contradictions.